It all began because God’s people were focused on the needs of others. In 1930, through the outpouring of God’s Holy Spirit, the youth group and leadership of Lansing First Church of the Nazarene was inspired to begin a home mission “seed” church in Mason, Michigan. The street meetings quickly found shelter in different homes within the community for “cottage” prayer meetings and finally in local store fronts throughout the next few years. Revival campaigns were held with evangelists like Clayton Kidd and Irma Pierce. Many responded to the message of holiness. As the people began to hold weekly meetings, a young ministerial student by the name of Ernest Martin was asked to preach. He would later become the first pastor of the newly organized Mason First Church of the Nazarene in 1931, with a spirited group of 23 charter members. Reverend E.W. Martin was paid seven dollars per week as he led our baby church during those difficult depression years. Pastor Martin adopted as his motto: “Respect for the Past, Progress for the Present, Vision for the Future,” and the theme verse for the church: “Seek ye first the kingdom of God and His righteousness and all these things shall be added unto you” (Matthew 6:33). Praise God for this solid foundation upon which our wonderful heritage was laid!